Construction FAQs

Construction FAQs

Do I need a formal agreement with the neighbours?

Any work to a boundary wall requires you to comply with the requirements of the Party Wall Act 1996. The Act gives you rights to and duties over the works to a shared wall. Our conscientious approach to any job means that we advise you not only of your legal obligations with respect to your neighbours, but also the best way to keep them onside during the building process.

Do I need the services of a Structural Engineer?

This depends on the individual job, but we will be able to tell you whether they are required and will provide an experienced engineer when necessary.


What Local Authority consents do I need?

This depends on a number of factors, from whether the property is in a conservation area or if the works come under permitted development. Most will almost certainly need to be inspected by Building Control. We will advise you on what is required and do our best to ensure that it is handled as smoothly as possible.

How much will it cost?

We are a medium sized company that gives excellent value for money and a truly professional approach to all our projects. You will be able to get cheaper and more expensive quotes, but few will provide the same value for money as Nicholson Construction.