Is my house suitable for a basement extension?

Before any work is carried out we will do a site visit and make an honest appraisal of the viability of creating a basement and we can also give you a rough indication of the costs involved.

Do I need a formal agreement with the neighbours?

Any work to a boundary wall requires you to comply with the requirements of the Party Wall Act 1996. The Act gives you rights to and duties over the works to a shared wall. Our conscientious approach to any job means that we advise you not only of your legal obligations with respect to your neighbours, but also the best way to keep them onside during the building process..

Do I need the services of a Structural Engineer?

This depends on the individual job, but we will be able to tell you whether they are required and will provide an experienced engineer when necessary.


What Local Authority consents do I need?

TBasements normally do not require planning permission, except where there are light wells, but do need to be inspected by Building Control. We will handle this on your behalf on a job by job basis.

How much will it cost?

We are a medium sized company that gives excellent value for money and a truly professional approach to all our projects. You will be able to get cheaper and more expensive quotes, but few will provide the same value for money as Nicholson Basements.

How long will the project take?

Subject to specification, this will take approximately 12 weeks for a typical standard size project.